runZero · Engineering Manager, Backend
- Fully remote: runZero is a 100% remote company. While other companies are struggling with the new normal, we decided to lean in, knowing that a lot of folks out there don't want to commute or sit in a cubicle every day. We don't actually have an office, so we won't ever ask you to "come in 3 days a week". That said, we try to get together in person for kick-offs.
- Fast, sustainable growth: Despite the pandemic, we have grown tremendously over the past year. runZero is financially solid, and we have secured funding to support our future growth. Plus, we have great investors who are familiar with the security space.
- Product-market fit: We're already selling, a lot, with hundreds of paying customers from mid-market to very large enterprises and thousands of freemium users. Learn about how runZero works and how it helps our customers with their business. If you want to learn about our cool technology, listen to this podcast with our co-founder HD Moore (creator of Metasploit).
- High customer satisfaction: We'd rather you hear this from our users. If you want to try runZero, just get our 21-day trial. You'll know what you have on your home network in about 12 minutes.
- Great benefits: For 2023, we're matching 4% of your 401K. You'll get platinum-level medical, vision, dental, life and short-term disability virtually free ($0.17 per month for a family of two).
- Friendly and productive culture: We have a diverse team with no tech-bro culture, no crazy hours, and a productive atmosphere. Read about our cultural values.
runZero is looking for an Engineering Manager to help foster the growth of our backend engineering team and be a key contributor to the engineering organization as we scale. As a people-focused leader, you will help the team achieve its goals by first and foremost helping its members achieve their goals. You will provide mentorship for professional and personal development, uphold and enhance our culture and values, and put people in positions that bring out their best. You will be responsible for ensuring the team’s timely delivery of roadmap features and help define, implement, and improve engineering processes that are well-suited for our remote environment.
Ideally, you’ve lived the (backend) engineer’s life at one point but have discovered your passion for enabling others.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage our talented team of backend engineers, recruit and hire new team members, and establish and refine team and organizational processes as we scale
- Regularly provide candid, thoughtful, and timely feedback to direct reports
- Be responsible for timely shipping of backend features, enhancements, and bug fixes, help triage customer support issues, and ensure the smooth and sustainable operation of your team
- Engage with engineering colleagues and cross-department counterparts to ensure we enable our customers to succeed
- Put people first, lead by example, and manage with empathy
Skill You Have:
- 3+ years of experience managing an engineering team, preferably in a remote environment
- 3+ years of experience managing a team’s delivery and maintenance of a SaaS-first product
- Strong understanding of modern engineering concepts, practices, and technologies (preferably with Golang but not required)
- Prior experience working with a RDBMS. Postgres experience preferred
- Prior experience working in a cloud hosted environment, AWS experience preferred
- Prior backend engineering experienced with a strongly typed compiled language preferred, prior Golang experience strongly preferred
Salary Range: runZero values transparency in the hiring process. According to our market data, we’re expecting this role to come in at a salary of about $200K-$240K plus stock options. We know that the talent market is always in flux, so please let us know if you believe we have advertised this role at the wrong salary band.
We offer an extensive set of benefits including:
- Top of the line medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverages with runZero paying for 99% of the premium
- A stock option plan consistent with early stage, rapidly-growing startups
- A competitive salary composed of cash and equity compensation
- A flexible vacation policy
- 401(k) matching program
runZero positions are currently restricted to the United States. International applications will not be considered.
We strive to make data-driven decisions where data is readily available, which is why we support vaccines and are committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace. Even though we are a remote only company, runZero requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 so that we can safely get together for company off-sites and kick-offs, QBRs, in-person customer meetings, and more. We are all responsible adults, and expect that you will keep up with the COVID-19 booster schedule, as recommended by the CDC. The Company will consider requests for an accommodation or exemption to this requirement, as required by applicable law, for non customer-facing roles.
runZero is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, national origin, veteran status, marital status, ancestry, nationality or any other basis covered by applicable law.
We encourage under-represented applicants to apply, even if you don’t think you fit 100% of the criteria (nobody ever does)!