Belvo · Engineering Manager / Senior Engineering Manager - Data Engineering
A little bit about us:
We are Belvo, a financial API platform with the bold vision of democratizing access to financial services in Latin America. We enable any company or developer to access and interpret their end-users’ financial information. We are turning the rich and diverse Latin American financial ecosystem into a set of developer-friendly tools and APIs.
We’re a highly-technical, passionate and driven team. We are more than 100 people, our team currently represents 22 nationalities and we have offices in Barcelona, Mexico City, and São Paulo - while a large portion of us works remotely.
We are tackling a very challenging problem: connecting fintech innovators with legacy financial infrastructure. We strive to go beyond the limits of what is possible today and to do so in an elegant and developer-first way.
Since starting our adventure in May 2019, we have raised $56m from the leading VC investors globally.
About the team:
- We work in cross-functional, autonomous teams. We follow continuous delivery best practices executed on top of a modern technology stack.
- Our products are built for developers, by developers. Technological excellence is at the heart of what we do.
- We are pragmatic and customer focused. We strive to find the right set of trade-offs in order to validate our hypothesis as early as possible, iterating on our products based on customer feedback.
- We communicate transparently. We do weekly all-hands where we get together to discuss company performance and goals.
- We are a flexible international team focused on creating cool stuff. Some of us prefer to work together in one of our offices and others prefer remote. For us there's no difference as long as you have an excellent internet connection and are able to overlap with the team between 3pm and 6pm, CEST timezone.
- Also we are backed by some of the leading investors in Silicon Valley and Latin America, including Founders Fund, Kaszek Ventures, and YCombinator
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Data Enrichment team, which is applying data engineering and machine learning models to enrich raw financial data with inferred information.
We are currently developing products that are able to perform real-time income detection, expense detection, transaction categorization and merchant identification on streams of financial data. This information is highly valued by our clients and allows them to take smart business decision, leaving the heavy lifting of data processing to Belvo.
As an engineering leader, your main areas of focus are your team, its people, their performance and their wellbeing. We are looking for individuals with a strong technical background and track record, who are able to lead, coordinate and coach an already stellar engineering team.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Coach first, player second. You are a force multiplier for your team and have a passion for team and team members’ success.
- Drive the execution and delivery of features and new products.
- Set objectives, follow performance, and provide feedback.
- Team happiness, wellbeing, and productivity.
- Participate in cross-functional coordination, planning, and reviews with leads from other engineering teams.
- Partner with Product Managers on objectives, priorities, trade-offs, and risk.
- We don’t establish a fixed hands-on/off split, but we encourage you to keep coding to keep your technical acumen sharp and to have a solid understanding of the technical challenges that your team faces.
- Participate in technical decisions, contributing your technical knowledge as well as your strategic and planning inputs.
- Establish processes and address growing pains during high-growth phases.
- Participating in architecture discussions and planning.
- Ability to act as Tech Lead and being more hands-on when required.
- Maintain and foster our culture by interviewing and hiring only the most qualified individuals with an eye towards diversity.
This position may be for you if:
- 1+ (mid level) or 3+ (senior level) years of experience in engineering leadership and people management in data engineering and/or data science.
- Past experience as a senior individual contributor in data engineering and/or data science.
- Well rounded technical skills and ability to contribute to deeply technical discussions.
- Experience recruiting and growing a team, in a context of rapid change and fast growth.
- Ability to be nimble, proactive, comfortable working with minimal specifications, and build a solid execution plan for your team.
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Fintech and SaaS past experience
- Experience building large-scale platforms with a global reach
- Knowledge of our technical stack: Python, AWS, and managed AWS services.
Our tech stack:
- We’re building our platform using modern technologies, putting the focus on reliability and long-term maintainability
- We primarily use Python on the backend. We use battle-tested technologies such as Django, and we are heavy users of Python’s asyncio for some parts of our stack
- We run our infrastructure on top of Amazon Web Services, leveraging managed services. We tend to favor the use of managed services wherever possible, in order to focus on our business problems
- We observe and monitor our services using Datadog
- We follow Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery best practices
🚀 Stock options (we are all owners and this is very important to us)
🔆 Flexible working hours
🔝 Remote friendly
🐶 Pet friendly
🧘🏾♀️ Access to mental health service
👩🏻⚕️ Health Insurance
🎊 Paid time off on your birthday
🌎 Work from any office twice per year
💻 Renew your laptop every 2 years
🙋 Training Budget
😎 Team building events
🙀 Bank holidays swap inside the same month
🔋 Fitness/ wellness stipends
🚀 Yearly offsite
🍒 Fresh fruit every week, all-you-can-drink tea and coffee
🍻 Friday happy hours after our weekly team meetings