Covidence · Engineering Team Lead
Our mission is to dramatically improve lives by changing the way the world creates and uses knowledge.
Launched in 2014 Covidence is a world leading SAAS platform that enables health and science research teams to rapidly synthesize and uncover actionable insights from the mountains research produced around the world. We do this by accelerating a research workflow called ‘systematic review,' the gold standard for synthesizing research evidence. Many of the world's most prestigious and innovative universities and hospitals are Covidence subscribers.
We are embarking on a new phase of growth which will see our product offering expanding and our engineering team significantly growing.
The perks and benefits
- Great salary: we pay competitively and review salaries regularly
- 100% remote: live and work where you choose whilst ensuring a 6 hour crossover with the AEST 9AM-5PM work day
- 5 weeks paid leave: 4 weeks standard plus a bonus week at Christmas, a day off for your birthday and the option to purchase 3 more weeks pro rata
- Flexible start date: want to take a holiday first? Let us know what your preferred start date is.
- Knowledge allowance: so you keep learning and developing,
- Impact: by working here you will have more impact on humanity than an individual scientist
- Monthly home allowance to set up and run your home office
Covidence is seeking an Engineering Team Lead to join our Product & Engineering team, reporting to our Head of Engineering.
This is a newly created role and level. In the past 12 months we've grown the engineering team from 3 to 9 members and we will continue to scale the team over the coming years.
We're keen to chat to candidates from all levels of management experience to learn about the talents you can bring to our team. Our ideal candidate is someone who loves to make a difference; a self-starter who pitches in and embodies our values: One team, Find a way and Honour Knowledge.
You'll get to
- Manage a team of 4+ mid/senior engineers and drive their career growth paths
- Partner with product managers, designers and customer support so that the right feedback loops are in place to discover and deliver valuable, usable, and buildable outcomes
- Hire and onboard new team members as we grow
- Support your team to deliver high-quality software
- Ensure we make architecturally-sound engineering decisions
- Drive engineering best practices like code review and pair programming
- Refine the team's processes to improve development, quality assurance, and delivery
- Use modern tools of the trade - Macbook Pro, Slack, Zoom, GSuite, Miro, Confluence and Figma
What you bring:
- Experience and great passion in leading or mentoring software engineers
- Advocate of DevOps/SRE culture
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience in architecting scalable Ruby on Rails applications
- A keen interest in modern technologies such as React and PostgreSQL
- A reasoned and pragmatic approach to software development and testing
- A love of problem-solving
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Interest in data and ML for future growth
We build new features to support our vision and at the same time modernise our technology for scale. Here's a summary of our tech stack:
- Backend: Ruby on Rails, Ruby, postgreSQL
- DevOps: AWS, Heroku
- Monitoring tools: Sentry, Datadog
- CI/CD experience: Buildkite
We don't need you to be experienced in all of these technologies but some exposure would be desirable.
The interview process
If you are interested in this opportunity, please hit APPLY and send us through your details. We'll be back in touch with you promptly.
Should we proceed further you can expect 4 rounds of interviews:
- Round 1: 30 min Zoom interview for us to get to know each other
- Round 2: 60 min Zoom interview diving into your technical and leadership experiences
- Round 3: 90 min Zoom interview where you'll complete a practical exercise with some of our team members
- Round 4: 60 min interview with our CTO
In a hurry? We can speed this process up if needed - just let us know!
When you join Covidence you are joining a team that cares deeply for what we can build and achieve together. If you are ready to be more than just a cog in the machine; if you are smart, curious, want to create change, and are not scared of getting your hands dirty to make it happen – then this is the place for you.