Masabi · Frontend Principal Engineer
At Masabi, we are helping to make cities better places to live, work, and visit by enabling seamless, frictionless journeys on public transport systems. We are a SaaS company developing a fare collection platform that allows people to buy and present tickets for public transit on their mobile phones or by tapping a bank card or smart card to travel.
We believe a new fare payments system allowing passengers to tap and ride without needing to buy a ticket or understand fares should be available to every passenger and every transit agency around the globe, without prohibitive costs or taking years to deliver, helping people move seamlessly from A to B.
Our Justride platform has won numerous awards and is used in over 150 locations worldwide, including New York, London, Boston, Las Vegas, Valencia, The Hague, Los Angeles, Melbourne, and many more. With an exciting industry-first mobile ticketing SDK, we are partnering with companies like Uber, Lyft, Transit, Moovit to enable the purchase of public transit tickets within leading mobility applications.
Join us on this exciting ride as we build the transit technology ecosystem of tomorrow.
The Justride team is responsible for the design and development of a new hybrid mobile app and web application. These platforms combined currently process over $1 billion transactions a year. With these kinds of numbers, security and fraud mitigation are paramount to our success.
This role will be instrumental in defining the standards and best practices we adopt to drive quality in the front-end technology we deliver. You will also be involved in larger Engineering wide initiatives and projects, working extensively with other Principal and Distinguished Engineers. We are passionate about improving our front-end coding practices, and the Principal Front-End Engineer will have direct accountability for improving general coding practices, standard definition and adoption, front-end testing practices, and all levels of architecture that affect our internal web and app development.
We work as part of a cross-discipline team who delivers robust and reusable components originating from product requirements through UX, design, development, and quality assurance. We are looking for a proactive person to join the team and actively contribute to code reviews, pairing, knowledge sharing, mentoring and technical road-mapping.
This role is available in the UK, either in a fully remote model with occasional travel to our London office, or in a hybrid model where you will be allowed to come into our London office as many days per week as you require.
- You have a deep understanding of the business drivers that make your product successful and use this to influence product decisions and build systems that anticipate and enable change
- You set the technical strategy for your tribe, creating architecture and solving problems for the long-term business through best practice approaches to operational excellence, rapid time-to-market delivery, and an economical total cost of ownership
- You drive successful delivery of the tribe’s products across the Masabi and with external partners, designing solutions, coordinating development, identifying and resolving issues and arbitrating disputes
- Representing your tribe in Tech Strategy Group meetings, participating in setting and improving best practices, continuously driving improvements in tooling, design and innovation for Engineering across Masabi
- You’re a sought-after domain expert in your area, having technical influence spanning various teams in the Tribe
- Experience taking a leading role in delivering multiple complex and innovative solutions
- Flexible to changing priorities in a fast-paced delivery environment
- Know when to escalate, when to apply the brakes, and which battles are worth fighting.
- You are a pragmatic problem solver. You apply judgement and experience to balance trade-offs between competing interests. You simplify processes and technologies while advocating a long-term view
- Comfortable presenting and knowledge sharing to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven evangelism of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development lifecycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, automated front-end testing, and operations
- Experience mentoring FE software engineers to improve their skills and knowledge, and to make them more effective and productive
- High-level knowledge of native mobile technologies, both iOS and Android
- Strong experience working with web standards, accessibility, and usability, including knowledge of W3C-specific standards and WCAG 2.1
- Proficiency working with client-side bundlers such as Webpack, Rollup, Vite etc.
- Proficiency in several other modern programming or scripting languages such as Java, Kotlin or Python, etc
- A deep understanding of modern software engineering practices, design patterns, object-oriented design, functional programming, data structures and algorithms
- Passionate about technology and customer experiences
- Must be approachable, patient and an excellent communicator, a team player
Nice to have:
- Experience working with hybrid web and mobile app development using Capacitor.JS, Flutter etc.
- Relentless drive to provide the best customer experience possible
- Hands on expertise in many disparate technologies such as cloud computing, video processing and delivery, service-oriented architecture, user interface development or machine learning
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs and product strategy
- Demonstrated team leadership experience
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salary package
- 25 days of holiday per year plus the option to buy another 5 days pro-rated
- Private Healthcare via AXA including pre-existing conditions and mental health
- Life Insurance
- Choice of workstation
- Flexibility to work from home whenever you need to and flexible working hours (we are currently operating either fully remote or in a hybrid mode, please see Remote Working Policy below for more details)
- Ability to work for up to 3 months per year from any country in the world
- Pension scheme
- Training allowance of up to £1000 per year
- £200 annual allowance for any home office need or improvement
- Enhanced family leave pay
- Onsite/video yoga classes
- Cycle to work scheme
- Unlimited snacks and drinks, with regular free lunches (when in the office)
- Regular social gatherings with a monthly allowance for each employee
- Biannual company events
- Fun and collaborative environment with a focus on making a difference in the world
We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view, striving to create an environment where everyone feels empowered to bring their whole, authentic selves to work. Whoever you are, just be yourself. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply; we don’t discriminate. Also, please notify our team of your pronouns at any point in your application.
All interviews are expected to take place by phone or video.
Masabi’s flexible working policy will allow you to work entirely remotely, or from our offices in London. The choice about where you work from will be primarily made by you. Regardless of where you choose to work from, you will be allowed to work outside of the country of your employment for up to 3 months each year.
To find out more about who we are and how we work, please have a read about how our business reacted to the Covid pandemic: https://www.masabi.com/2021/08/02/emerging-stronger/