North America Only
Robots & Pencils · Lead Backend Developer (Node.JS)
WE EMBRACE A TALENT-LED CULTURE
Our work is driven by our team’s desire to be pioneers.
In 2009, we created Robots & Pencils with the then-contrarian view that mobile would be more transformative than the Internet. Turns out we were right.
Today, our thinking is rooted in the belief that, in the age of unprecedented technology acceleration, maintaining a competitive advantage requires new strategies and a focus on innovation.
Our approach has been to create a company designed to follow the talent, allowing us to amass an unfair share of hyper-skilled people who call Robots & Pencils home. A team of people who not only develop innovative solutions to transform businesses, but also create products that have been previously inconceivable.
Our Core Values:
- Strong Work Ethic
- Top Drawer
- Always Learning
Robots & Pencils Offers:
We care about Talent. Hard stop.
We do this in many ways, by offering:
- An attractive compensation package
- Excellent benefits Medical, Dental, Vision etc. (this routinely gets reviewed each year for enhancements)
- Paid stat/federal holidays, vacation and sick days
- Flexible paid stat/federal holidays (because we care about what you care about and want to celebrate our culturally diverse team!)
- R&P branded swag
- Parental & adoption leave top up / salary continuance
- 401K/RRSP matching
But we also know a job isn’t just defined by the above, so we pride ourselves in being a company that also offers:
A #FollowTheTalent mentality -- meaning you can be located anywhere in North America and work remotely. (We have 10+ years of experience building virtual working environments #WeKnowWhatWereDoing)
A dynamic, fast-paced environment where we’re constantly #alwayslearning.
And lastly, a team that cares about you and wants to drive the talent experience. How do we do this? Over the years we’ve hosted comedian shows, had holiday parties, happy hours, brunches with the CEO, surprise coffee runs for the team, health & wellness events and prizes, trivia nights, surprise dinners for R&P team members and their family and so much more! (And yes, we’ve prioritized a way to do these things in a virtual setting and not just in person - thank you Zoom!)
You do remarkable things and solve tough problems where many others have failed before. We are looking for people who are driven to be pioneers. If this is you -- we want to hear from you!
As a Senior Robot, you will work with talented developers, creative designers, experience designers, stakeholders, and clients to:
- Deliver solutions, products, and product features in a wide array of industries
- Craft APIs that support mobile apps, web apps, slack apps, etc.
- Provide, and ensure top-drawer software by actively participating in continual improvement, and engaging peer review
- Support business development in the creation of budgets and schedules for projects
- Share knowledge and insights with team members through various channels, such as mentorship, lunch & learns, examples, and exercises, etc.
- 6+ years of delivering software
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- Passion for the user, and developer experiences
- Strong understanding of common design patterns, and adjacent technologies (i.e. some or all of: SQL, TypeScript, MV[Whatever], Repository, REST, GraphQL, Swagger/OpenAPI/JSON Schema/OData, Git, NodeJS, Apollo, Phoenix, React, Angular, Vue, (S)CSS, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Strong understanding of the full web technology stack (i.e. HTTP, caching, headers, cookies,
- Proficiency in working with API’s and third party integrations
- Disciplined approach to testing, quality, and behavior driven development
- Understanding of CS concepts (i.e. APIs, services, nTier, microservices/SOA, data structures and
- normalization, data access patterns, profiling & optimization)
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies
- Sharpies, Post-its and robot dreams
We would love if you had below:
- Github profile or link to open source work
- DevOps experience in Azure, AWS, or GCP
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) (i.e. Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation, etc.)
- Experience with implementing, configuring, or otherwise taking advantage of continuous integration
- Experience with multi-tenant architectures (SaaS)
- Strength in SQL, and RDBMS design
- Exposure to no-SQL
- Great written communication and documentation abilities
- Experience building time machines
Robots & Pencils aspires to have a workforce that is representative of the diversity of our country and encourages applications from everyone