Oja · Lead Full Stack Engineer
Lauded as ‘the next hot thing in grocery delivery’, Oja is one of Europe's hottest new startups transforming access to ethnic groceries and cultural foods.
We’re an online supermarket for African and Caribbean foods and groceries. Well, at least that’s where we’re starting. Our big, hairy mission is to radically reshape grocery, and make foods from all cultures accessible from anywhere in the world. (So expect Indian, Arabic, Greek and many more foods coming soon).
We’re a team of multicultural foodies above all (‘Are you hungry’ is somewhat of a love language to us) - with backgrounds from Nigeria to Turkey to Greece. Our team hail from Deliveroo, Amazon, The Hut Group, Rothschild & Co, Robert Dyas & Tesco and we’re backed by leading venture capital investor, LocalGlobe and angel investors from the likes of Sainsbury’s, Taster, Justo, Deliveroo, booking.com and King.com.
Oja was founded on the belief that food is so much more than food - it’s the thing that connects us to our communities, our cultures, and ourselves. Enabling everyone to discover, access, and enjoy foods that remind them of home is why we do what we do. Currently, shopping with Oja means your favourite foods will be in your kitchen in less than 24 hours. Soon, shopping with Oja will also see you connecting with others from your culture, and bonding over your grandma’s secret recipes.
We’re going after an underserved market worth billions, and there is tonnes of work to do. We’re looking for team members that are independent, switched on, and motivated to do good work free of boundaries and bureaucracy. Is that you? If so, have a look at our vacancies and join the hottest new grocery start-up in Europe!
We are seeking a Full Stack Developer with a passion for engineering and programming and also amazing commercial acumen. As a senior developer, you'll need the ability to work well independently and proactively and also within a team. You will be expected to develop and maintain quality software for customer facing mobile applications and web applications as well as the in-house applications for internal operations. You'll be able understand the importance of community and culture and the huge role this plays in re-defining this grocery segment, whilst contributing to our foundation and building a functional and scalable architecture.
You'll be focused on:
- Discussing & understanding requirements within the development team
- Development of web based applications
- Producing products that are user-friendly, device responsive, effective and appealing
- Working alongside the stakeholders to understand our business and customer needs and translate these into backlog items for development
- Taking an idea from conception all the way through to production
- Breaking big challenges into small chunks of deliverable value will be second nature to you, as is creating simple and elegant solutions to complex problems
Team player, proactive and AWESOME!
Strong PHP knowledge, ideally 4+ years of experience, including frameworks such as Laravel
Previous experience of using APIs and familiarisation with microservices architecture
Knowledge of code quality controls and security
Integration experience via RESTful APIs and fundamental understanding of good API design
Experience working with relational databases, ideally MySQL
Adaptability and flexibility to learn new technologies and approaches
Knowledge of CI/CD pipelines
Extremely organised with an intense attention to detail
Willingness to learn new technologies
Microservice design patterns and Test automation (unit, integration, end to end).
Experience of working under agile project/delivery methodologies and tools such as Jira, Bitbucket
Good knowledge of DevOps and cloud platforms, ideally AWS
- Competitive compensation package including equity compensation
- An opportunity to build your own team in the long term and be integral to the DNA of this company
- Learning & training budget for every employee
- Monthly discounts and allowances for groceries
- Flexible working plus hybrid office & remote working
- 25 days annual leave and your birthday off
- Join the grocery delivery revolution and be part of creating a brand new industry