Metabolic Living · PHP/Laravel Back-End Developer
We’re a rapidly growing 100% remote $60MM+ metabolic optimization company looking for a talented software engineer steeped in PHP, NodeJS, REST API’s and MariaDB to help us launch our MetabolicOS – our next generation AI/ML-driven digital product that’s the future of our company. This is an extraordinary opportunity to utilize your problem-solving and coding skills to develop our headless digital product, e-commerce and content infrastructure. This state-of-the-art platform will be the catalyst for our next phase of growth in 2022 as we march toward our goal of becoming a billion-dollar revenue brand by 2025. We’re 100% remote, in our 11th year with a team of 150+ and have grown 300% in the last 3 years.
Hello, my name is Luis Mata, CTO of Metabolic Living, and I need your help. For the last 11 years we’ve been systematically building different pieces of our MetabolicOS – our ecosystem of offerings that empower people to optimize their metabolism to feel their best, look their best, perform their best and live longer. We’re now weaving these disparate elements together to create a unified UX that combines exercise, nutrition, coaching, habit change and more. To do that successfully requires that we create a scalable digital infrastructure that weaves together e-commerce, digital product, content, marketing, etc. all into a headless platform that can be distributed easily onto any device whether web, mobile, watch, TV, voice or any other digital experience as necessary.
What Does the Ideal Candidate Look Like?
The ideal candidate loves to solve business problems with code and is able to understand and engage in the broader context of the business “why” behind the code and proactively contribute their ideas. You’re driven to excellence, consistently deliver clean code, are fantastic at troubleshooting/debugging sticky issues and have loads of experiencing developing APIs inside a headless architecture. You flourish in an agile/scrum environment and have significant experience working on a variety of digital products wherein optimizing the user experience is paramount. Most importantly, you gain tremendous satisfaction from seeing the solutions you develop internally impact the lives of others externally.
Just as importantly, you’re extremely into health, wellness and/or fitness and it plays a major role in your life. You love experimenting with new habits, realize how critically important having an optimized daily routine is and simply can’t get enough of this stuff. Perhaps you’ve had a health challenge that got you interested, or you’ve just always been highly passionate about health wellness and fitness. Either way, you’re eyes are lighting up at the possibility of aligning your personal passion with your profession. If that's the case, please read on as we'd love to have you part of team Metabolic.
What are the Key Points?
- Compensation: $165,000 - $195,000 + Bonus
- Location: 100% Remote (virtual team of 150+ with no corporate office)
- Benefits: Health/Dental/Vision/Disability/Life + Robust 401k + Unlimited PTO
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EASTERN (to standardize our rhythms)
- Culture: Human-first with High-Performing, Happy & Humble People (no jerks)
- Personality: Obsessed with Details so We can Simplify the Complex for Others
What Will You Be Working On?
- Flagship Digital Product – We’re launching our flagship digital product – our MetabolicOS – that helps people optimize their metabolism with an individualized nutrition, exercise and healthy habits lifestyle plan that’s customized to how their unique metabolism works.
- E-commerce Platform – We’re launching our new Metabolic brand (more below) on a highly customized e-commerce platform that supports our extremely high volume of paid advertising ($3MM+ per month). This platform needs to be built to scale since we’ll be launching a new supplement, functional food/beverage or other consumable product every 8 weeks.
- Content Management System – Because we’ll be publishing content to multiple end-points – web, mobile, tv, voice, etc. – we’ll be building a headless CMS. This needs to be able to seamlessly scale both horizontally to new endpoints and vertically within in any endpoint.
What’s Our Culture Like?
We’re serious about high-performance, so our culture is built around deep work to allow uninterrupted time for the focus needed to deliver world-class performance. We also focus on real collaboration and transparency to keep us all in alignment and keep office politics out. These aren’t just talking points – we’ve implemented specific policies, for example:
- A standardized 8:30 to 5:00 p.m. ET schedule to protect your personal and family time
- No standing meetings before 1 p.m. ET to empower you with 4 hours of truly deep work to GSD
- Daily huddles and weekly check-ins to brainstorm, align on priorities and remove bottlenecks
- No meetings the first week of the month to gain momentum for the month ahead
Who Are We and How Are We Different?
Our mission is simple: make living healthy easier than living unhealthy. We do that by empowering people to fix their own health with our metabolism-first approach and unified ecosystem.
3 things make us different than other brands in the health and wellness space:
- Metabolism-First – After 11 years of trial-and-error with 500k+ people, we’ve found optimizing your metabolism delivers the results you want: feeling your best, looking your best, performing your best and living longer. Your metabolism is your inner compass for health, but most people don’t understand how to read it; once you do, it’ll tell you exactly what to do to help you thrive.
- Individualized-Approach – Paleo may work great for one person’s metabolism, Vegan for another, Keto for another, etc. Everyone’s different, so to achieve results that stick, those differences must be respected; if not, things will backfire. That’s why our approach is 100% customized to the individual – there is no perfect program to find, it must be built to support how that specific person’s unique metabolism works. This is where the usual one-size-fits-all solutions fail – they don’t respect our very real individual differences.
- Integrated Ecosystem – It’s simply too hard to live healthy – lots of great individual solutions, but nothing is connected. We’re left to stitch everything together, which is confusing. We simplify everything with an integrated suite of the offerings you need to optimize your metabolism. We started with nutrition, then exercise, then supplements, then coaching and are constantly pulling in new pieces of the health puzzle.
We power up this 3-pronged approach with our proprietary Metabolic Optimization System (or MetabolicOS) that combines practitioner wisdom and scientific research with ML/AI to deliver a truly customized data-driven consumer experience.
What’s Our Past and Future?
Our company may be a bit confusing at first glance because we built everything organically in reverse, starting with our first nutrition program in 2012, then our first exercise program in 2014 and then launching our full ecosystem of products, including nutraceuticals, functional foods, subscriptions, memberships, 1-on-1 coaching and more. We market these all separately under different DTC websites.
However, now everything’s being centralized under our new brand, Metabolic. We’re launching our flagship e-comm website on Metabolic.com in Q2 and our digital product + e-comm app in Q3. Normally, companies launch with a brand and then figure out how to make money. We did that in reverse – creating products that solve specific problems first, scaling that up to fund building out our team and infrastructure, and then retrofitting the brand on top.
What are the Requirements?
- 7-10+ Years’ Experience – A senior software engineer with recent, applicable focus on database-driven web applications on a cloud-hosted LAMP stack
- Robust API Dev – Expert in writing object-oriented REST APIs using Oauth2, JWT tokens, and strong encryptions with deep understanding how to streamline data payloads for mobile and low bandwidth devices
- Strong Database Skills - Just as good with SQL as you are with PHP with ability to write ad-hoc queries, joins, stored procedures and triggers for data extracts by hand, optimize tables with 100s of millions of rows, and design database schemas using MySQL or MariaDB
- Proactive Problem Solver – Consistently thinks ahead to anticipate needs and proactively solves problems before they happen
- Driven to Excellence – You’ve got an ownership mentality with an inner drive to excellence that other people who aren’t built that way find disturbingly intense :-)
- Exceptional Communication Skills – You are a perceptive listener, quickly synthesize disparate elements and formulate an action plan that can be clearly articulated to others
- Passion for Health, Fitness and Habits – An unquenchable thirst to improve your health and fitness with an intentional focus on constantly optimizing your daily habits and routines
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Work From Home
- Wellness Resources