ActivTrak · Principal Engineer
ActivTrak is a cloud-based platform that provides productivity insights into how teams work, improving employee and customer experience, while also enabling better business outcomes. At ActivTrak, we recognize the powerful link between these two concepts and we're on a mission to understand it more every day. Alongside 9500+ paying customers, our team uses the platform internally to assess team and organizational performance, hone product features, develop best practices, streamline processes, invest in new innovations, and promote a culture of immediate feedback and transparency.
We are a fast-growing, agile company with a forward-thinking, inclusive culture. Our teams are encouraged to collaborate daily to solve challenges, create and champion new ideas, and execute initiatives that help global customers and their modern workforces succeed by working better together.
Position & Responsibilities:
As a Principal Software Engineer, you are responsible for the future direction and design of the ActivTrak application. This highly influential and self-directed engineering role that will work to understand our business, customer, and engineering needs. By defining and driving the shape of our platform and infrastructure architecture, systems, and tooling, you will ensure we meet the 1-2 year needs of ActivTrak’s product direction. You will be expected to mentor and technically lead other developers and act as a point of contact for cross-team initiatives. You will create system documentation and serve as a lead technical reviewer and contributor in requirements, design, and code reviews. ActivTrak is a cloud-native SaaS application; you can expect to be on the cutting edge of modern SaaS design and .NET Core development.
- You are a great developer. You’ve been doing this for a while and you still enjoy it. You know when to write code, and more importantly, when not to. You care about system quality and leave the codebase better than it was with every pull request. You’re up to date on development practices and current platforms. You know you need to continue to invest in learning to stay great at your job.
- Exceptionally pragmatic. Working in a start-up environment requires that you’ll be able to make the right trade-offs to progress projects while balancing constraints and input. We’re looking for a candidate that can be pragmatic and has the ability to make decisions based on data.
- Product-focused. You understand what your team is trying to achieve with each release and can use that context to make great engineering decisions. We’re looking for a candidate that understands our customer’s challenges and has a stake in improving our product in ways that benefit our users.
- You have excellent communication skills. ActivTrak is a remote-first company with team members across the US in all time zones. In order to be an effective contributor, you must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. You’ll need to plan development, give clear feedback, and document complex problems and solutions.
Skills & Experience:
- Comprehensive C# knowledge (e.g., Reflection, Lambda, LINQ, Multithreading)
- Experience developing and deploying in a .NET core environment
- Experience in cloud environments (e.g., AWS, Google Cloud Platform)
- Data Modeling design
- API design/implementation (e.g., Microservices, REST, etc.)
- Strong SQL experience (having used BigQuery in anger is even better)
- Docker/Containers, Kubernetes
- Agile development
- Visual Studio
- Knowledge of the Software Development Lifecycle and software development best practices
- Software source control system, such as Git
- Experience in development for SAAS with Continuous Delivery
- Position is remote within US
- Minimal travel
- Limited physical demands
This is an incredible opportunity to embark on an exciting journey with a dynamic, VC-backed company. If you have a positive attitude towards urgency, risk, and challenges that comes with working in a startup environment, then you will be a great fit!
ActivTrak is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. ActivTrak does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. #LI-REMOTE