Raft · Principal Platform Engineer
This is a U.S. based position. Majority of the programs we support require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
**US Citizenship is Required**
Who we are:
Raft (https://goraft.tech) is a full-stack digital consulting firm with niche expertise in rapid delivery of modern, user-first, scalable, and data-intensive digital solutions for government agencies, with headquarters in Reston, VA. Our range of clients includes the Department of Defense (U.S. Air Force and U.S. Space Force), the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). We develop digital solutions that impact the lives of millions of Americans.
Our team is rapidly growing and looking for an experienced Platform Engineer to lead development efforts and join our passionate team of high-impact problem solvers. We enjoy the challenges of human-centered design, security, and scale to create better outcomes for our federal agency partners. We are a remote-first and work completely in the open source.
What you will do:
- Architect scalable and maintainable technical approach and ensure implementation of the approach
- Actively develop public-facing digital solutions
- Mentor software engineering team through pairing and performing code reviews
- Work closely with the client and other key stakeholders to provide strategic input and help navigate needs and tradeoffs to build extensible digital solutions
- 5+ years' experience with Kubernetes, developing containerized services deployed into production with multiple clusters and tenants
- 5+ years' experience building developer platform services and APIs that can scale into production
- 5+ years' experience building production services and deploying containerized services to cloud infrastructure providers such as AWS (minimum 2 years), Microsoft Azure, VMWare Tanzu, or Google Cloud.
- 3+ years’ experience with modern programming languages such as Java, Python, and Go
- 3+ years' experience with Identity and Access Lifecycle Management / Authentication (Okta, Travis, Circle CI, Active Directory, Keycloak, etc.)
- Previous experience with relational and non-relational databases such as PostreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch.
- Previous experience with CI/CD pipelines, developing services for developers to facilitate production and testing environments.
- Should have exceptional experience building data intensive applications at scale
- Enjoy building digital solutions using user-centered philosophy instead of technology-based approach
- Passion or writing code that is well unit tested
- Experience with at least one agile methodology, including Scrum or Kanban
- Love to demo your work to the team
Our Vision Statement
We bridge the gap between humans and data through radical transparency and our obsession with the mission.
Our Customer Obsession
We will approach every deliverable like it's a product. We will adopt a customer-obsessed mentality. As we grow, and our footprint becomes larger, teams and employees will treat each other not only as teammates but customers. We must live the customer-obsessed mindset, always. This will help us scale and it will translate to the interactions that our Rafters have with their clients and other product teams that they integrate with. Our culture will enable our success and set us apart from other companies.
How do we get there?
Public-sector modernization is critical for us to live in a better world. We, at Raft, want to innovate and solve complex problems. And, if we are successful, our generation and the ones that follow us will live in a delightful, efficient, and accessible world where out-of-box thinking, and collaboration is a norm.
Raft’s core philosophy is Ubuntu: I Am, Because We are. We support our “nadi” by elevating the other Rafters. We work as a hyper collaborative team where each team member brings a unique perspective, adding value that did not exist before. People make Raft special. We celebrate each other and our cognitive and cultural diversity. We are devoted to our practice of innovation and collaboration.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.