383 · Senior Front End (React) Engineer
383 is a digital product studio. We simplify life by solving problems with brilliant products.
We work with the bold and the brave to imagine solutions, define experiences and build great products that make life easier for users.
We start with the problem and focus on designing the right solution. That means questioning, testing and validating everything, so we can build the right thing - and build the thing right. We aim for our work to have a positive impact on people's lives, even if that's in the smallest of ways. We do this by putting technology to work in smart ways to make it easier for people to live brilliantly.
Front end development has moved on tremendously in the past few years. The proliferation of JS frameworks has meant that many parts of a modern Web Application have moved to the client browser. The growth of mobile device usage has also meant that performant, responsive design is a given these days and so a 'mobile-first' mindset is imperative.
The role of front end developer varies from the creation of simple static HTML pages/email right through to the architecture of complex Single Page Applications (SPAs). Given the breadth of this role, the below duties represent a snapshot of some of the tasks we undertake. This list is constantly evolving and changing to meet the needs of the business and the dev squad.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be responsible for:
- Creating components within the react framework
- Adapting to work with various JS frameworks to support our clients ranging from Next.js / Hydrogen for Shopify and many other JS SDKs.
- Creating semantic HTML Markup
- Efficient styling and theming to bring designs to life within the react module styled-components
- Creation and evolution of delightful UI/UX experiences
- Creating standards compliant HTML Emails
- Work with our backend teams within some templating languages such as blade, twig and liquid where needed.
- Integrating JS libs such as Google Maps, Algolia Search, Charts JS and more...
- Creating libraries of viewable react components within Storybook
- Breaking UI down into suitably sized and reusable components
- Networking with public and private REST APIs
- Working with popular web sharing services and meta tags, Twitter/Facebook etc.
- Experience creating responsive, heavily designed web sites and applications from the ground up using React
- Experience in producing delightful, fast and smooth animations and little UX touches.
- Experience working across the stack, you should be comfortable templating and working directly with other languages and frameworks.
- Able to demonstrate a working knowledge of the git version control system from time within at least a mid sized team (branching/pull requests etc.
- Experience working collaboratively with product owners, project managers and Designers to hone your output to a high standard.
- You will have previously learnt to balance client expectations against technical requirements (and be able to explain this clearly internally).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A keen eye for design and good UI.
- Ability to plan your own time and also align with other timelines.
- Able to work independently and also as part of a team.
- Know how to debug front end code and help others debug theirs.
- An understanding of the wider business and the disciplines within it.
- Always strive to make the next project the best project you have ever done.
- Be raring to try new things, even if they don’t succeed.
- Happy to work and play with new people and tech.
- Have the courage to embrace risk and trust each other.
We're pretty laid back, but there's a few things you should know about what's important to us.
Humility, not modesty. We know that we’re good and we trust in our people, our skills, and our capabilities. But we also know that nobody is above making mistakes, and there is always more for us to learn. We talk with confidence, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Bravery, not bravado. We push each other to be better, take calculated risks, and admit when we’re in the wrong. We put our money where our mouth is, and hold the same high standards of ourselves as we do of our clients.
Compassion, not indifference. We care about each other, we care about the work we do, and we care about the world we live in. We understand that we all have lives outside of the office, and that our impact goes beyond the products we build.
Honesty, not lip service. We believe in straight talking and telling it like it is, without pushing an agenda. We strive to have open conversations that focus on the right thing to do.
The salary band for this role is £40k-£48k, and we offer lots of extra perks to sweeten the deal.
- Health and wellbeing - comprehensive health cover, including dental and optical care, and an active programme with lots of resources to support your mental health.
- Fun fund - A quarterly budget to spend on whatever makes you happy.
- Training fund - Budget for courses, events and professional development.We also run regular breakfast sessions, where 383ers share some of their knowledge, whether work-related or not - topics range from running triathlons and creating board games to designing an ITT process and design psychology.
- Flexible & remote working - We offer flexible hours and freedom to work from home, from our Birmingham studio, or wherever else you find yourself.
- Your birthday off - In addition to 20 days of annual leave, an extra day for every year of service, and two weeks shut down at Christmas, you get your birthday o. Because - let’s be honest - nobody wants to work on their birthday.
- Canvas - Access to a community of product people and a ticket to our award-winning annual conference. This year’s line up includes Gymshark,Monzo and Zoopla, with more speakers to be announced soon!
- We’re a pretty sociable bunch, so there’s lots of opportunities to catch up with your colleagues, online and IRL, from 5aside footy to book club (which may as well be renamed wine and cheese club, if we’re honest...).
How to apply
We don’t believe in seven stage interviews, psychometric testing, or mass committees deliberating if you’re ‘worthy’ of being a part of our team. At the same time, we won’t just have a chinwag over a coffee and offer you a job on the spot either. What’s really important is you feel we’re a fit for you, and vice versa, so we will spend time getting to know each other.
Generally speaking, the application process will include:
- A chat to talk through your CV and experience.
- An interview with our Head of Engineering Andrew and our hiring manager. You’ll be given a couple of things to prepare in advance, including a brief to respond to. Don’t worry - we’ll give you plenty of time for this bit.
- Finally, you’ll have a face to face meeting with our founder, Sukhi, at our Birmingham HQ!
Just to let you know...
We’re looking for people who share our values of; passion, humility, bravery and honesty, in addition to compassion, talent and hard work. Oh, and a decent sense of humour will help, too.
You may not meet all of the requirements in this job description, but you should still apply, especially if you have an interesting story to tell. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your path into product has been unconventional. We welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren’t afraid to challenge the status-quo.
We’re thrilled with the applications we receive for our roles, and love taking the time to review them, but unfortunately we’re not able to reach out to everyone individually. If we’d like to move forward with your application we’ll definitely be in contact with you!
383 has a policy of non-solicitation of employees from either active or prospective clients. We apologise to any applicants this impacts, but it is a necessary policy to protect our ongoing commercial interests.
We are an inclusive workplace, and that extends to you and your application. If you need any adjustments during our process, we’ll do everything we can to help. Simply let us know what you need in your application, or let us know over email if you are invited to interview.
**Unfortunately we cannot currently support visa applications, this role is only open to current residents of the UK who have permanent residence and/or the Right To Work.