All Turtles · Senior Software Engineer
mmhmm is an all-in-one platform for making, watching, and talking on videos. We’re on a mission to make video an everyday tool that’s accessible to everyone to communicate in the modern workplace.
We believe that making a video should feel as effortless as sending a text message, as quick as a chat, and as human as a coffee break.
Founded in May 2020, mmhmm is a fully distributed, global company that builds products and services to make the Out-of-Office (OOO) work lifestyle possible.
mmhmm is an All Turtles company. All Turtles is a globally distributed product studio that solves meaningful problems.
As a Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) engineer on our macOS team, you’ll be a key member of the small team developing our Mac desktop application. You’ll work with designers, product managers and other engineers to develop new functionality, improve performance and fix bugs. We work in a collaborative, fast-paced environment, preferring communication and common sense to highly structured processes and formal documentation.
You’re the right person for this job if you like to work on small, autonomous teams to create new things, take pride in the quality of the user experiences that you create, and love to see your work used by people who are passionate about what you’ve built.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Making major contributions to the CEF layer of mmhmm for macOS. You’ll collaborate closely with others doing so for mmhmm on Windows.
- Researching, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving issues reported by our internal teams and our customers that often involve complex hardware and software configurations which have caused degraded performance.
- Identifying components of the application that could be refactored for improved performance, clarity, or maintainability.
- Designing software for scalability, maintainability, and security.
- Ensuring that we deliver at high quality, release after release.
You must have:
- Deep experience developing CEF applications, preferably on Apple devices.
- Experience with MacOS fundamentals and the larger Apple development ecosystem.
- Experience creating a build pipeline to integrate frequent external framework updates along with internal changes to frameworks and native codebases.
- A proven ability to manage your own time and workload.
- A track record of delivering on ambitious goals.
- Worked in a startup environment. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with an aptitude for conveying clear thoughts and ideas.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Experience developing applications in Swift or Objective-C
- Familiarity with inner workings of media systems or audio/video codecs
- Experience with System Extensions in the Mac ecosystem
This is a full-time, permanent position reporting to the Engineering Manager. This role can be based in any location. Since our fully distributed team works across US time zones, US-based applicants are preferred. We offer comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance to our employees and their dependents, as well as a suite of optional benefits and perks programs including parental leave and flexible PTO.
As a company, we realize that talent is evenly distributed throughout the world, but opportunity is not. We believe that you should work where you can have the best impact, and live where you can have the best life.
Compensation is based on an employee’s contribution to the company, not on where they live or how they have been paid in their past jobs. We have standardized, nationwide compensation levels that are set according to everyone’s job. The levels are calculated annually, based on collecting national compensation data, and weighted to be competitive in the most expensive markets for each country.
Distributed Facilities Supplement
We are a fully distributed team, however it is still our responsibility to make sure that employees have a safe, healthy, and productive work environment. We provide each employee with a monthly distributed facilities supplement for them to spend on whatever each employee thinks will give them a healthier and more productive work environment.
We believe that in-person time is precious and best spent building, rather than spending, ‘relationship capital’. To encourage those moments to take place, we offer a ‘Turtle-Crossing’ bonus to employees when they meet in person to build and strengthen relationships with one another.
Health and Vacation Programs
We also offer comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance to our employees and their dependents, where available, as well as parental leave and unlimited vacation (plus an annual vacation bonus).
All Turtles and mmhmm are committed to creating and fostering a diverse team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We’re committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all applicants throughout the application process.