Nearpod · Senior Software Engineer (PHP)
At Nearpod, we believe teaching is the most important job in the world. Every day, we reach students through our learning platforms on Nearpod.com and Flocabulary.com. We have diverse backgrounds, but a shared goal of putting teachers and students first in everything that we do. We have won numerous awards including EdTech Digest’s 2018 Company of the Year. Recently, we were acquired by Renaissance to support the shared mission of accelerating learning for all. We’re looking for people with a lot of hustle, a lot of empathy, and a desire to do something meaningful. We've adopted a remote-first culture, and our diverse team is based across the US.
Nearpod is a classroom engagement tool that is at the center of solving one of the world’s largest current challenges: educating students in a post-pandemic world. Our platform enables teachers to engage and assess students directly with in-lesson activities that keep learning effective and fun, whether it be virtual or in the classroom. We are proud of the enormous impact we are having on the world of education, while experiencing the business success that goes with it.
We are looking for an experienced backend engineer to help us modernize and manage our PHP codebase while continuing to scale our platform. You can expect to introduce new coding patterns, develop features, as well as iterating on existing code. As an integral part of the growing Nearpod engineering team, you will have a direct impact on the technology choices, architecture, and capabilities of our platform. You will influence our development philosophy and practices while rapidly scaling Nearpod. You’ll also pair with product managers to develop innovative solutions that enable great classroom experiences while learning.
At Nearpod, we value teamwork and pragmatism. You’ll find success here if you enjoy writing production quality code, but you’re aware that your job is not only about shipping: you are excited to contribute your ideas to the broader team in order to build a great product. You know some problems require introducing new technology but you also understand that the foundation of any great product is proven and well-understood technologies.
You should be comfortable with distributed teams (as you’ll work with many folks in other locations), and also excited about building a strong, inclusive environment for everyone who joins after you.
- Architecture. You are adept at working with your team to craft a scalable and resilient design. From technology selection, to data model, to service design you can deliver a solution to problems while acknowledging constraints.
- Coding. Our engineers write code, and they’re good at it. Our engineers come from diverse backgrounds, though we use PHP and Node.js to build most of our services (with React on the front-end). This role will focus heavily on our PHP codebase.
- Software Delivery. We partner closely with our Product and Design teams, so you will have a role in the entire product lifecycle from ideation through deployment. We iterate and learn through agile, lean and continuous delivery practices.
- Technical Leadership. You are the technical lead for projects. You are comfortable guiding and collaborating with the team to deliver successful shipments together.
Our Ideal Candidate will:
- Be comfortable working in a monolithic and microservice architecture
- Design distributed systems that are scalable and resilient while instilling coding best practices.
- Have experience developing backend services that leverage relational databases (MySQL), non-relational datastores, message queuing and/or cloud infrastructure.
- Take pride and ownership in producing high quality software, including appropriate test coverage and ability to troubleshoot production issues.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with distributed engineering, product and design teams.
- Mentor and support fellow team members and demonstrate keeping abreast of new technologies.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 3 years experience building monolithic backend applications with PHP monolithic
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent industry experience
- Effective communicator and work well with distributed engineering, product and design teams
- Experience mentoring fellow team members and have demonstrated keeping up to date on new technologies, methodologies, and frameworks
- Enjoy working in a 100% remote environment - we have engineers across the US, as well as remote teams in Latin America
Employment Requirements: Must be authorized to work in the U.S. without restrictions
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.