Icon Savings Plan · Software Engineer, Backend
**Our Vision: To (re)build retirement benefits for the 21st century workforce and drive the transition to portable retirement plans.**
Icon Savings Plan is a new category defining product. It's the first portable, universally accessible workplace savings plan, a modern alternative to 401k plans. We believe that by radically simplifying retirement savings, we can help create a more equitable and financially secure future for everyone. We enable all types of companies to provide low cost, high-quality retirement savings plans and financial wellness solutions to all types of employees.
Our goal is to help everyone have a long and happy life through increased financial security. We're always looking for talented people who are interested in building the future alongside us.
Our team is a fully-distributed set of industry experts. We're focused on building a fantastic solution for businesses and employees. Our common-sense approach to behavioral design, as well as trust in our own expertise makes this a unique opportunity to join an early stage team.
We offer fully paid Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits, and generous equity and pay. Our team is all along the West in California, Oregon, and Idaho, and Colorado. Come join us and build something totally new in FinTech.
This position is fully Remote worker compatible for USA based employees. We recognize the challenge of our times with COVID-19 and are happy to onboard you from your work-from-home setup on Day 1. Occasional travel to Portland, OR may be required when it is safe to do so.
We're looking for a Backend Services Engineer who can help put in place many of our foundational components. You'll be responsible for end-to-end design of API's and service integrations with our partners as well as internal client applications. You're used to collaborating with a small team and owning large swaths of development.
The right person is very product oriented, and thinks deeply about our customer experience. Our requirements and understanding of the business change all the time, and the thought of being able to fill in the blanks excites you. A background in financial services is not required but very useful.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop new services in Java that integrate with our partners
- Expand and improve our internal client API's in Node.js and Apollo GraphQL
- Translate product needs for securities trading and funds flows into soundly designed systems and architecture
- Help establish key processes and norms of our engineering culture as we grow the team
- Integrate 3rd party API's and platforms into our core product to help drive the product forward
SKILLS YOU'LL NEED
- Strong proficiency in Java or a similar language
- Solid understanding of distributed systems design and related tradeoffs
- Familiarity with GraphQL and/or RESTful APIs
- A strong collaborator who is transparent about progress on tasks, seeks feedback early and often, works effectively with the team
- Top notch communication skills and a penchant for remote work
Why you might be excited about us
- We started off as a remote team. We are committed to finding the best talent and location isn't a barrier.
- We have offices in San Francisco CA and Portland OR, if you want to work in person.
- Great life-work balance.
- We're working to create a more equitable future for everyone.
Most American employees do not have access to a workplace retirement plan, that's about 81 million working Americans. Icon is a FinTech company that's built a new kind of workplace retirement benefit designed for the modern mobile workforce. Icon enables every type of company, from small startup, to large corporation, and even gig platform to offer every worker a high-quality, low cost plan. It's a more inclusive and sustainable system for delivering workplace savings.
For Employers: Icon delivers fully-designed, ready to use, digital retirement plans that make everything faster, easier, and radically less expensive.
For Employees: Icon transforms retirement savings into a personalized, portable plan that stays with you—no more rollovers, no more high fees.
Icon is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other legally protected status.