Cloud Academy · Software Engineering Team Lead
[PLEASE NOTE] This position can be either:
- 100% remote for full-time contractors or employees located in Europe (within the time zones UTC to UTC+2). A trip to our office in Switzerland (expenses paid by the company) one week per quarter, to work onsite with the team, is required
- Based in our Swiss HQ in Mendrisio, Switzerland, which is 7 km over the border from Italy and easily commutable from Milan, Como, Varese or Lugano. We are also happy to assist with your relocation to this beautiful part of Europe and we have a hybrid remote working policy
At Cloud Academy, we are on a mission to create the leading Skills Intelligence Platform for organizations and individuals to manage their tech talents; the experience starts with educational products and spans far over it with features covering skills validation and intelligence, career management, content creation, and so on. It is an ambitious goal that requires a lot of innovation and creative ideas.
We’re looking for a Team Lead to join our Labs Technology Team, one of the most innovative teams at Cloud Academy.
Our Labs technology is a groundbreaking platform that allows thousands of people every day to work with AWS, Azure, Google Cloud and other DevOps common tools to learn and test their skills.
The Labs Team is composed of multidisciplinary software engineers with years of experience working on cloud environments and web products. They move seamlessly from back-end web development, to service-oriented applications design, to managing and scaling deployments. In this position you will take ownership of how features and services are implemented on our infrastructure, managing microservices, event buses and kubernetes clusters.
You’ll have an opportunity to make a large impact on the culture of our development team. Our ideal candidate is a humble leader, equally capable of teaching and learning.
As our Labs Team Lead you will:
- Manage, mentor and grow a small team of 3-5 engineers.
- Contribute to defining the roadmap.
- Plan activities and help the team deliver new features with an agile approach.
- Write well-structured, maintainable, idiomatic code with good documentation; unit tests for every feature, bug fixing and code reviews.
- Communicate with the rest of the company (e.g. content creators, customer success, sales, marketing, UX, etc) to ensure the functionality you're implementing is what was intended.
- Collaborate on a cross-functional team, including designers and product managers to quickly deliver new features.
- Work closely with the SRE Team to ensure smooth deployments, ensuring that errors are tracked with enough info to debug effectively.
What we're looking for:
- At least two years of experience in an Engineering Lead role.
- Passion for coding, web development, cloud technologies, and shipping features that drive user adoption.
- Strong understanding of server-side technologies such as Python, Go, Django, EventBus, Celery, and both Relational and NoSQL databases: PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Redis.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in modern web patterns: RESTful APIs, SOA, WebSocket and WebRTC.
- Experience with distributed version control systems: mostly Git (Github and/or Bitbucket).
- Good knowledge of cloud-oriented technologies: Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure, Kubernetes and Docker.
- Familiar with cloud architecture patterns and best practices for designing highly available, scalable and secure systems.
- Familiar with Infrastructure as Code tools like CloudFormation and Terraform.
- Good level of English proficiency, both spoken and written
- Ability to work independently and as part of a distributed team, with a sense of urgency and integrity.
Who you are:
- You have an innate interest in education. You’ll be motivated by the idea of being part of a force for bringing tech skills to millions.
- You will be hungry to join an exciting company. You’ll get excited about the prospect of rolling up your sleeves and digging into your work.
- You’re humble, collaborative and respectful as a team player.
- You positively contribute to Cloud Academy as a team. You’re supportive and see success as team success.
- You’re committed to exceeding expectations, boundaries and excellence. You demonstrate passion and you’re willing to go the extra mile.
- You take ownership of your deliverables. You take responsibility and you’re proactive in identifying solutions.
Why join Cloud Academy?
We are an exciting scale-up in the digital training space, and this is a great opportunity to work within a mission driven, lively & diverse team in a fast-paced and high-growth environment.
As a Labs Team Lead you will get:
- Competitive compensation with an annual bonus potential
- Great company culture and work environment!
- Highly-skilled teammates and lots of opportunities for growth and development
- Budget for professional development and Learning & Development culture
- 4 weeks paid vacation per year plus 17 paid public holidays per year
If you opt for the on-site position you’ll have these additional benefits:
- Train ticket paid for by the company
- Hybrid remote working policy including 1 month a year of remote working from anywhere
- Relocation bonus
- Health Insurance Enhanced Family Leave policy (maternity leave/paternity leave)