Very · Sr. Full-stack Engineer (Elixir)
Note: This job is remote #LI-Remote but if you're not located in the country mentioned in the post's title, do not continue. Your application won't be reviewed. Please apply to the job posting for your country of residence.
If you're in Brazil, we're sorry but we can't consider your application due to the country's labor laws.
We value well-tested, reusable code and expect our engineers to be as good practitioners as they are leaders and teachers.
About This Role
Very is a remote-first company, meaning we don’t have a physical office, and you can work from anywhere in Latin America. Your home, a co-working space, on the road, you name it. If you feel like moving, you don’t have to change jobs.
As a Senior Full-stack Engineer, you will be working across multiple technologies. This requires an interest in API engineering, DevOps, SQL and NoSQL databases, cloud infrastructure, and everything in between...
During your tenure at Very, you could be exposed to some, if not all of the following technologies:
- Ruby on Rails
- Mobile: iOS, Android, React Native
- AWS: AWS Lambda and the Serverless Framework
What You’ll Be Working On
Very has been a remote company since before it became the norm — 2011, to be exact. We’ve built a collaborative, tight-knit team that thrives, whether we’re hanging out in person at our annual retreat or coordinating work across time zones. The results show that we’re doing something right. In 2020, we were named one of Inc’s Best Workplaces, Parity.org's Best Companies for Women to Advance List, and Fatherly’s Best Places to Work for Dads.
Clients like Vizio, Clear, iHeart Radio, Complex Media, Shopkeep, and more come to us for answers to their thorniest questions. We bring them a world-class product team that delivers end-to-end IoT solutions.
Currently, we have clients with needs matching this specific job description, and you will be hired to work with one of these clients. You’ll spend the majority of your time working on your client project, and the remainder of your time can be spent improving Very. These internal contributions often include working on open source projects, building internal products, improving your craft, educating others, and more.
Upon completion of your first project, you will move on to other client projects for Very.
At Very, there is a never-ending supply of variety to the types of projects we work on. In the last year, we’ve built solutions that touch e-commerce, trust management (finance), beer distribution, point of sale systems, ICO’s, identifying fake news, and much more.
1. At least 4 years of experience developing full-stack software applications in Elixir.
3. At least an upper-intermediate level in English. A B1 or better in the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
Note: Don't get discouraged if you don't have this level officially. What we really care about is that you feel comfortable communicating complex ideas and building rapport with English-speaking clients.
1. At least 1 year of experience with React (preferably) or React Native.
2. Some experience with the other languages mentioned in the About This Role section.
3. At least 2 years of experience in client services. Applicants should feel comfortable interacting with English-speaking clients daily.
How You’ll Be Compensated
We believe in a transparent, fair compensation structure and have developed our own open salary formula for Latin America-based employees.
Depending on your skill and experience, you can expect to make somewhere between USD $5,250 and $7,900 per month upon joining the company. Latam salaries converge with US salaries as you move up the ladder so you could be looking at making over $120,000 per year if you become a tech. lead. High performers can expect to become tech. leads within 2 years of employment.
Do you have what it takes to impress us and shoot for that $120,000 per year salary within 2 years? We hope you do!
- Annual Bonus: up to 5% in the first year (increases with tenure)
- 14 days of paid time off your first year (increases with tenure)
- You get a MacBook Pro
- $1,000 annual Home Office Stipend to build out your home office.
- $125/mo Monthly Communications Stipend (Can be used towards: Cell Phone Data Plan, WiFi Plan, VOIP, VPN)
- Udemy license for continuing education
- $3,000 annual Training Stipend after 1 year ($1,200 of which can be used towards college loan repayment annually)
- $1,000 annual Healthcare Stipend (to be used towards Health insurance premium)
- Personalized ESL coaching and access to an AI-powered adaptive platform to take your English to the next level
Additional Perks (could vary)
- 4-day paid trip to somewhere in the World for the annual global company retreat.
- 3-day paid trip to somewhere in Latam every year for the Latam company retreat.