The Working Name · Staff Back-End Engineer
We are on a mission to elevate the live event experience for millions of fans around the world, and we are looking for a talented and passionate team member to join us on our journey. The current model of live event management has seen little change for years, especially for the venues and promoters who manage these systems for fans. Together, we will build a new operating system for live events that brings more people in, gets them closer to the action and delivers personalized, memorable experiences.
To make this vision a reality, we are looking for intellectually curious engineers who are passionate about building from scratch, testing out new ideas and technologies, and finding simple, elegant solutions to highly complex technical challenges.
We're building a game changing product from the ground up. To start, we have to build the foundations of our B2B & B2C products which will allow venues, teams, promoters, and labels to create breathtaking, customized experiences for their fans. You will join a small and experienced group of pioneering engineers, product managers, and designers to help build this product suite.
You will join one of our first pods and work closely with our CTO, engineering team, and product team to build this product. In year one, you will be very hands on shipping our first lines of code while establishing best practices and guiding how the product is built.
What you'll do
- Synthesize complex business, product, and technical requirements to consistently produce high-quality system designs and software in addition to task break-down, delivery and monitoring
- Design core backend software components
- Develop highly-optimized REST-based software that operates at a scale capable of millions of operations per minute
- Conduct design and code reviews, taking accountability for bug fixes and ensuring standards for code quality are met
- Work closely with our CTO, collaborating with other engineers, product managers, and designers to build the product
- Continuously learn on the job to build domain expertise
What you'll bring
- Strong passion for building stable, well-tested applications
- A strong desire to learn and improve your skills
- 8+ years of hands-on experience developing large, well-tested applications
- Experience owning a particular component, feature, or system
- Experience mentoring and onboarding new engineers
- Comfort working across the stack, from infrastructure to browser while implementing general best practices
- Proven experience solving complex architecture and business problems with simple, extensible solutions
- Knowledge of creating external-facing REST APIs
- Enthusiasm for new technologies, languages, frameworks, and platforms
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure
- Experience with version control software (E.g. GitHub) and issue/project tracking software (E.g. Jira)
- A detailed approach to writing tests and quality assurance
Nice to have but not required
- MS or BS in Computer Science
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with other popular languages (Node, Go, Scala, Python)
- Experience with Kafka or other distributed data systems
- Full stack web/mobile application development with a variety of coding languages
- Understanding of DevOps practices and tools
Attributes that will make you successful on our team:
- A strong desire to learn. You have strong experience with at least one language and want to continue building your technical skills.
- Tenacity. You enjoy working on challenges that others can’t or don’t want to tackle and you aren’t afraid of failing fast in order to find better solutions.
- Passion. You love using your technical skills to build products that solve real problems. You hold yourself to a high standard and help to elevate others as well.
- Empathy. You thrive in an environment where everyone can truly be themselves. You understand that our differing life experiences influence who we are and how we show up, and these diverse perspectives enrich both our team and our product.
- Customer-centric mindset. You can understand the problem to be solved and who we are solving it for.
- Remote first
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flex PTO policy
- Generous medical, dental and vision plans
- 16 weeks paid parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers
- $1,000 reimbursement for work-from-home tech setup
- Company-paid sustainability subscription to ensure carbon neutrality is maintained for employee activities, such as travel
Compensation is something we don’t want our candidates or employees to worry about. Our goal is to offer competitive salaries that are regularly benchmarked against the market. The core tenants of our compensation philosophy are fairness and transparency.
We have established a standardized leveling framework based on job scope and responsibilities. The compensation package for each level is standard across all engineering roles. This means that every person at a certain level is paid the same as everyone else, regardless of their background, previous compensation, location, or any other factor.
The compensation for this role is $200,000 and includes a generous equity package.
Some candidates may see the requirements and feel unsure that they match all the criteria. We encourage you to apply! There's a good chance you have important skills that we have not stated. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, nonbinary folx, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, veterans, and people with disabilities. We’re committed to building an inclusive workplace where everyone can bring their authentic self and thrive, and we value the diversity brought by different life experiences.