Universal Tennis · VP Engineering
Universal Tennis Overview:
Universal Tennis is on a mission to grow the sport of tennis by connecting players globally through level-based play, innovative events and a digital marketplace. We are both a technology and tennis event company. Our innovative tools and technology make tennis better for all players and providers, with our gold-standard UTR tennis rating system at the core, powering level-based play around the globe. We proudly operate the UTR Pro Tennis Tour with Federations and venues to support aspiring pro players and provide new pathways for competitive juniors. To learn more, visit www.universaltennis.com.
The Company is Silicon Valley based, profitable, high-growth and backed by some of the leading investors in tennis, sports, technology and media, including Amazon, Ken Hao (Chairman, Silver Lake Partners); Larry Ellison (Co-founder and CTO of Oracle); TEAM8, the creator and principal owner of Laver Cup and sports company founded by Roger Federer, Tony Godsick, Ian McKinnon and Dirk Ziff; Novak Djokovic (20-time Grand Slam Champion); Mark Leschly (CEO of Universal Tennis, Founder & Managing Partner of Iconica Partners, Managing Partner of Rho Capital Partners); Tennis Channel / Sinclair; Tennis Australia (operators of the Australian Open); and many others.
We are looking for a talented and hands-on Vice President of Engineering to join our team as we take the next step of our journey and deepen our focus on the tennis player, whether adults or juniors, coaches, and tennis providers. You will lead and grow a talented team of Software Engineers, QA and DevOps teams and work alongside the Product Management team to build the world’s premier tennis marketplace platform and related mobile apps. You will work to streamline and improve engineering processes and ensure the quality and timeliness of new product features. You will also establish key engineering quality and performance metrics and ensure they are met.
In this role you will:
- Lead and manage a team of Architects, Software Engineers, Quality Assurance, DevOps and SREs.
- Design, implement, and monitor all operations and key performance metrics/operational efficiency for the engineering team.
- Organize, recruit, manage and develop top engineering talent and maintain and foster a team that has a can-do, positive, highly accountable culture aligned with our high growth business objectives.
- Drive, align and collaborate on the complete product roadmap lifecycle from concept to execution.
- Work with the President, CPO, CEO and business teams cross-functionally to determine goals, objectives and execution strategies.
- Provide the best technical operation and develop continuous improvement in engineering velocity and effectiveness to grow the business profitably.
- Recommend new technology and ideas to improve, agility, sprints and efficiency
- Align objectives to business across a multi-platform team of web, mobile, and backend systems.
- A wide and deep technical experience including a solid understanding of practices and patterns across: payments, web and/or mobile full stack development, database technologies, cloud platforms (Azure/AWS/GCP), analytics, monitoring, and quality assurance.
- 10+ years experience managing a distributed team
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering roles
- Strong verbal, visual, and written communication skills with the ability to explain approach to all levels in the organization including key stakeholders
- Hands-on leader with desire and proven ability to mentor and train engineers including embedded offshore teams.
- Proven success working closely with senior execs and product management, contributing to the product strategy and helping to successfully deliver on the roadmap including managing technical debt
- Understanding of modern cloud architectures including containerization, use of kubernetes etc.
- High transaction volume and marketplace platform development experience preferred.
- Preference for an entrepreneurial work environment with demonstrated ability to work in fast paced, high growth tech company with all that entails
- MS/BS in a technical field required (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.) required.
- Note: This is a full time position in the United States.
The Company is headquartered in Palo Alto, CA but this position can be remote with willingness to travel. We are offering a competitive salary and equity compensation package with flexible working hours and PTO, medical, dental, and vision insurance, along with long term and short term disability and a bunch of other fun stuff that you’d expect.